Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cranberry and sorrel coulis


half a cup each of dried cranberries and dried sorrel
a large pinch each of dried ginger, ground allspice, ground cinnamon
3 or 4 cardamom pods (cracked)
the zest and juice of one orange
3 tablespoons of rum
2 tablespoon of brown sugar

Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and pour in enough water to cover them. Cover the pan and cook everything on a slow simmer for 30 minutes (by which time the cranberries will have plumped, and a syrup will have formed).

Leave the mixture to cool for a while. Remove the cardamom pods and then put everything in a blender and blend the mixture until smooth (or a little chunky - whichever way you like it).

You can store it in the fridge for two or three weeks. I'm going to use it as chutney for my turkey, and I think I'll put a little in the bottom of my creme brulee.


5 comments:

  1. What you doing with the Brussels sprouts? I have a recipe for oven roasted with crushed pepper & olive oil. Did that last year, so was just discussing w/ Kev whether to do green beans this year. Now you're making me re-think -- if you can give me an inspiring recipe in the next 9 hours before I go shopping . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have an inspiring recipe I'm afraid! I was only able to get frozen ones (fresh are a rarity here) so I'm just going to steam them. But my red cabbage recipe is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Share the cabbage recipe! I just got back from the supermarket -- just beat the real rush. Took the mother-in-law-to-be -- she's doing the turkey and I'm just responsible for supporting dishes. I'm shamefacedly admitting to ordering mince pies & shortbread at an outrageous price, but from the best English-style bakery I've come across anywhere (Brick Street Bakery for those Toronto readers/travellers; three locations: the Distillery District, Queen E. & Logan and further east on Queen E. in the Beach -- they also do the most amazing sandwiches [Coronation chicken!] & sausage rolls). Gone are my days of marathon baking sessions in the week before Christmas, up until dawn making a gross of mince pies and countless dozens of countless types of cookies, and rum cakes . . . I don't miss it, I confess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh - but shivaun, your rum cake was the best! I'm going to start the red cabbage now, so will share the recipe! (You need apples and maple syrup.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! We're lousy with apples & maple syrup. Cabbage, too, come to think of it.

    ReplyDelete