A few months ago, I was given a hand-me-down couch. I was thrilled! I've been wanting a couch for a couple of years now, but buying a new one seemed prohibitively expensive and then too, I needed a two-seater as my living room is small, and I couldn't really find anything I liked. The trouble with the couch was the upholstery! A huge plaid pattern printed on a very synthetic fabric! And it was coming apart at the seams.
I knew I had to recover the couch - but again, I didn't want to go to a professional upholsterer as that would have been expensive. So I searched online for several days, trying to find a decent how-to guide for making my own slip cover. I couldn't really find one that made it look anything but very difficult and time-consuming. So, I ditched the internet searches, went to the fabric shop and bought five yards of cloth, 90 inches wide. In truth, having decided to make my own slip cover, I figured I could go a little more expensive on the fabric, so I what I ended up buying was TT$80/ yard.
I brought the fabric home, took it out of the bag, and started pinning it to the couch. And really, that's how I was able to make the cover: pinning the fabric in place, lining up the woven stripe, cutting, sewing and pinning again. I felt as though I were draping fabric on a mannequin and constantly adjusting. It came together over a couple of days, and I can't tell you how happy I am with the results! Oh, an added benefit - the lighter coloured fabric has helped to deal with a dreadful mosquito problem at our apartment!
Here are my before, during and after photos!